Are you ready to take a trip down south and indulge in a dessert that will make your taste buds do the two-step? Look no further than Southern Banana Pudding! This classic treat is a delightful combination of creamy pudding, fresh bananas, and delectable vanilla wafers. Get ready to learn how to make this mouthwatering dessert that will have your friends and family begging for seconds.
What Makes Southern Banana Pudding So Special?
Before we dive into the recipe, let's take a moment to appreciate what makes Southern Banana Pudding so unique. It's not just any ordinary pudding; it's a heavenly concoction that brings together the flavors of ripe bananas, velvety pudding, and crunchy vanilla wafers. Each bite is like a symphony of textures and tastes, creating a dessert experience that is simply unforgettable.
Growing up in the South, banana pudding was a Summertime staple! I have so many good memories anytime I hear the name of this simple little dessert! I remember savoring each bite after we waited what felt like hours for the pudding to set! My mom would make the pudding in small individual dessert Tupperware containers that I thought were so cute! Instead of Tupperware I decided to kick things up a notch and serve them in champagne coupes!! Ultimate mocktail right?!
As a mom, I now know why my mother and grandmothers had this as one of their "go to" recipes! It's quick, cheap and delicious! My holy trinity for recipes :) And you just can't go wrong with pudding and cookies!
Adding a few extra ingredients to this basic instant banana pudding, gives new life to a traditional Southern favorite!! It's sure to make you look like a Southern dessert diva!
Ingredients for Easy Southern Banana Pudding
Now that I've built up your anticipation, let's gather the ingredients for this banana pudding. You'll need:
1 (5.1 oz) package of Jello Banana Cream Instant Pudding Mix
2 1/2 cups Cold Milk
16 oz Coolwhip
8 oz Cream Cheese (room temperature)
3-4 bananas depending on size
2 (11 oz) boxes of Vanilla Wafers
*Click here for a shoppable ingredients list.
Let the Banana Pudding Magic Begin
Now that we have all the ingredients, it's time to start the banana pudding magic. Follow these simple steps:
1. In a large mixing bowl, add 2 1/2 cups cold mild to the pudding mix and whisk or mix on low in a stand mixer for 2-3 minutes.
2. Mix 8oz Coolwhip (1/2 of the container) and cream cheese into the pudding on medium setting for an additional 2-3 minutes or until smooth and combined using a stand or hand mixer. Reserve the rest of the Coolwhip for the topping.
3. Slice bananas.
4. Layer the final ingredients into a large serving bowl or trifle bowl beginning with the vanilla wafers then adding the pudding mixture on top. Add additional layers to the desired amount and thickness of your choice. (I only added 2 layers based on my families preference but let your layering heart run wild!). End the layering with vanilla wafers on top.
5. Add a layer of Coolwhip over the top.
6. Crumble vanilla wafers and sprinkle over top of Coolwhip. You can also add sliced bananas and/or whole cookies for garnishing.
7. Chill in refrigerator for 1 - 2 hours.
8. Serve in dessert bowls or champagne coupes for an extra touch! Why not go all out?!!?
Get Ready for a Banana Pudding Party
Now that your Southern Banana Pudding masterpiece is complete, it's time to gather your loved ones and get ready for a banana pudding party. Take a moment to appreciate the creamy layers, the sweet bananas, and the crunchy wafers. Each spoonful is a little taste of heaven that will transport you to the sunny South.
So go ahead, grab a spoon, and dig into this delightful dessert. Just be prepared for the explosion of flavors and the chorus of "mmms" and "ahhhs" that will fill the room. Southern Banana Pudding is not just a dessert; it's a celebration of all things sweet, creamy, and utterly delicious.
If you want to see the process step by step in a short video, you can click here for the Instagram Reel. You can also Pin or save the recipe graphic below.
You can Click Here to shop all of the supplies and decor I used to create this fun Tablescape!
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I have! I’d love to hear from you via email, social media DM or tag me in your posts!
Please note***This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase via one of these links I may receive a small commission from your purchase. This commission does not add any cost to you but helps me to continue to share new products, companies and ideas with you. Thank y'all for always being so supportive!!